The Heartland Symphony Orchestra is proud to announce the 2017/2018 Composers’ Competition. HSO invites composers from Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, North and South Dakota, and Illinois to submit original orchestral compositions. Winners will receive a $1000 monetary prize, an opportunity to work with HSO and its conductor, and a performance CD and DVD. Call 1-800-826-1997, or email HeartlandSymphony@gmail.com for additional information. Application instructions are also found below. The winning score will be premiered by the HSO at its Spring 2018 concert series to be presented in three central Minnesota communities: Crosslake, (April 6) Little Falls (April 7) and Brainerd (April 8). The winner will also accompany Conductor, Alexander Corbett in educational outreach to area schools in each concert area.
- Total duration must be between 6 and 10 minutes.
- Instrumentation must not exceed: 2 Flutes, 2 Oboes, 2 Clarinets, 2 Bassoons, 4 Horns, 3 Trumpets, 3 Trombones, 1 Tuba, Timpani +2 additional percussion players (available instruments: snare drum, bass drum, tam-tam, glockenspiel, xylophone, crash cymbal, suspended cymbal), strings.
- Only one work per composer will be considered.
- Leave title and name on the score.
Application Package Must Include:
- Application form – Please fill out form below and submit.
- PDF file of the score
- One single page biography, detailing your musical studies to date.
- MIDI sound file of the composition
APPLICATION PACKAGE CAN BE SUBMITTED USING THE FORM BELOW
Postmark Deadline: February 2, 2018
Participant will be notified by February 16, 2018 and the First Prize winner must supply Parts (PDF File) by February 28, 2018. Scores and parts must be legible and ready to play. The Heartland Symphony reserves the right to refuse to read any work that does not adhere to these guidelines.
HEARTLAND SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA
2017-2018 Composers’ Competition
Applicant Information Form