The HSO would like to invite students or any other young musicians to audition for the Heartland Symphony Orchestra’s 2017 Youth Concerto Competition. Auditions will take place from 9:00-noon on Saturday, January 28, 2017, at the St. Francis Music Center in Little Falls. Up to two winners will perform with the HSO on its spring concerts:
Friday, March 31, 2017 | 7:30 pm | Pequot Lakes High School Auditorium, Pequot Lakes
Saturday, April 1, 2017 | 7:30 pm | Charles D. Martin Auditorium, Little Falls
Sunday, April 2, 2017 | 2:30 pm | Tornstrom Auditorium, Brainerd
Students residing in the HSO’s Central Minnesota service area may audition on piano, strings, woodwinds, brass, percussion, and voice, and must prepare a work from the standard concerto literature with orchestral accompaniment. Instrumentalists are asked to prepare one movement of a concerto or the equivalent. Vocalists should prepare two contrasting songs or arias. In addition to performing in concert with the Heartland Symphony Orchestra, winners will receive a recording of their performance and a $500 award, thanks to a grant from Crow Wing Power Community Trust.
We encourage all eligible young musicians to take advantage of this bi-annual audition and performance opportunity. The HSO’s Youth Concerto Competition is an exciting and rewarding tradition for young musicians, the orchestra, and our audience.
Application deadline is Friday, January 13, 2017. The application form and rules for this competition are below. Otherwise, if you have any questions about this program, feel free to contact the Heartland Symphony Orchestra office. Call 1-800-826-1997 or email HeartlandSymphony@gmail.com.
Heartland Symphony Orchestra Youth Auditions
Rules and Regulations
- Our goal for this program is to highlight outstanding young talent from our area. Therefore, the auditions are limited to students residing or attending school in our service area (Brainerd, Little Falls, and the surrounding rural areas of central Minnesota). All applications are subject to review by the HSO Youth Audition Committee.
- The audition is open to vocal, instrumental, and piano students.
- Any student through 12 th grade may enter.
- The music is to be chosen at the discretion of the pupil’s instructor. It must, however, be a work from the standard literature with orchestral accompaniment, limited to the instrumentation of the Heartland Symphony. If in doubt, please ask if a piece is appropriate. Instrumentalists should prepare one movement from a concerto, and singers should prepare two (2) contrasting songs/arias.
- The same student cannot perform the same literature more than one year.
- Memorization is strongly advised at auditions, especially for pianists and vocalists, to show one’s best performance. Memorization will be considered in selection of winners.
- Proper performance attire is expected and may influence selection of winners.
- The entrant is to supply two copies of their music for the judges; at least one must be an original.
- All entrants are to provide their own prepared accompanist for the audition.
- Winners are not permitted to enter the auditions for the next year’s contest.
- Up to two winners will be chosen, at the judges’ discretion.
- Thanks to a grant from Crow Wing Power Community Trust each winner will receive $500 and a recording of their performance.
- Auditions are Saturday, January 28, 9:00-noon at St. Francis Music Center, Little Falls.
- The winners will be available to rehearse with the HSO on the following days:
• March 16, 23, & 30, 7:00-9:30 pm | Forestview Middle School, Brainerd
- The winners will perform with the HSO at its Spring Concert Series:
• March 31, 2017, 7:30 p.m. | Pequot Lakes High School Auditorium, Pequot Lakes
• April 1, 2017, 7:30 pm | Charles D. Martin Auditorium, Little Falls
• April 2, 2017, 2:30 pm | Tornstrom Auditorium, Brainerd
Heartland Symphony Orchestra Youth Concerto Application
Application deadline is Friday, January 13, 2017